Thursday, November 12, 2009
Get a Free Child Safe Kit
Over 800,000 children are reported missing each year, that's over 2,000 children a day. Request your free Child Safe Kit and store your child's most important information in one safe place.
Go to Child Safe Kit sponsored by Globe Life and Accident Insurance to get a kit to put information about your child in one place so if necessary you can provide accurate information if they would get lost or disappear. The kit has a place for a current picture with a line to put the age of your child and the date the picture was taken. Other pages have places to put a physical description of your child with any identifying features such as glasses, a scar or birthmark. There is also a place to put fingerprints of your child. The kit provides the ink and instructions how to get a good set of fingerprints.
Here are some Child Safe Tips that are on the site.
1. Approach the subject of safety in a non-threatening way, so that your child is not fearful of dangerous people or situations, but cautious and aware.
2. Open communication is the key. Encourage your child to trust their intuition and to be able to tell you when something is wrong.
3. Make sure your child knows his or her full name, address and phone number, and where you work or can be contacted. Teach them how to dial 911, make collect calls and how to use a pay phone operator.
4. Inform your child of the rules pertaining to strangers. Let your child know that adults do not ask children for help nor can they threaten them. They should never approach an unknown car or go anywhere with an adult they do not know.
5. Never label clothing, backpacks or personal items with your child’s name. A stranger can use this information.
6. Put a system in place on what to do if you and your child are separated in a public place.
7. Know where your child is at all times and remember to update your child’s records every 6-12 months.
Get the kit and talk to your children. None of us want them to become a statistic.